HISTORIC BUILDINGS IN ABERDEEN SCOTLAND
CITY OF GRANITE
The Mercat Cross built 1686 by John Montgomery, represents the center of the mediaeval Burgh of Aberdeen, the twelve panels showing the armorial bearings of Scotish monarchs.
Inside The Grill pub on Union Street who serves Islands Malts.
The Citadel was constructed in 1896 for the Salvation Army by architect James Souttar based on the design of Balmoral Castle
Granite paved streets between granite stone houses by night.
North of Scotland bank building 1839 by architect Archibald Simpson. In the background: The 1615 Toolboth Building which was a prison and the Town & Country buildings who incorporated the Sheriff Court and Town Hall constructed 1868
The Marischal College was opened by King Edward VII in 1906 Designed by local architect Alexander Marshall Mackenzie.
It is still the second largest granite building in the world !
The historic house of Provost Skene was built in 1545 and bought in 1669 by Sir George Skene, Lord Provost of Aberdeen
In honour of William Wallace (1274-1305) guardian of Scotland
Bronze statue at Union Terrace Gardens by W.Grant Stevenson
His Majesty's Theatre built 1906 by architect Frank Matcham.
Matcham's Restaurant and Box Office 1999 by Trevor Smith.
GRANITE BUILDINGS IN ABERDEEN
Cowdray Hall 1923 by architects A. Marshall MacKenzie & Son.
Art Gallery with war memorial and lion sculpture by W. McMillan.
Granite houses are common because of Aberdeen's big quarry.