EL PUEBLO de LOS ANGELES
This colonisation, ordered by King Carlos III. of Spain, was carried out under the direction of Governor Felipe de Neve.
The Francisco Avila Adobe was built 1818 on Olvera Street, today the heart and soul of the historic El Pueblo de Los Angeles State Park.
In 1926 Christine Sterling (1882-1963) saved the Avila Adobe from demolition.
Inside the building contemporary furniture.
After years of decay Christine Sterling, the mother of Olvera Street fell in love with an adobe building of this historic village and began to develop this seedy area into a Mexican-style tourist attraction.
El Paseo de Los Angeles historic monument was established on April 19th, 1930 for tourism and education.
Nuestra Señora Reina de Los Angeles
The old Plaza Church was built between 1818-1822 by Jose Antonio Ramirez as Iglesia La Placita.
First pastor of the mission Nuestra Señora Reina de Los Angeles was Father Jose de la Guerra y Noriega.
Our Lady Queen of Angels at 535 N. Main Street
Downtown Los Angeles | California.
Historic downtown Los Angeles
Los Angeles' first brick building the Casa Pelanconi was constructed 1855 by Guiseppe Covacichi at 535 N. Main Street.
The Masonic Hall brick building 1858 by architects William Hayes Perry and James Brady at 416 N. Main Street served as a Meeting Hall for Lodge 42 Free and Accepted Masons until 1868.
Pico House 1869 by architect Ezra F. Kysor at 430 N. Main Street. The first guests of the National Hotel arrived Sunday 1870-06-19.
William Abbot's Merced Theatre 1870 by architect Ezra F. Kysor at 418 N. Main Street was Los Angeles's first permanent Theater.
Vickrey-Brunswig Building 1888 by architect R. B. Young for William Vickrey's failed Eastside Bank, then sold to the F.W. Braun Drug Co.
Plaza House 1883 by architect Octavius Morgan for Philippe Garnier at 500 N. Main Street.
Old Plaza Fire House Nº1 1884 by architects William A. Boring and Solomon I. Haas. Both architects were trained at the Illinois Industrial University. Today a museum in the historic El Pueblo at 501 N. Los Angeles Street.
The victorian style Eloisa Martínez de Sepúlveda House 1887 by architects George F. Costerigan & William O. Merithew.
Phillipe Garnier Block built 1890 by architect A.M. Edelman at 423 N. Los Angeles Street.
The Simpson-Jones Building was constructed in 1894 to house the Gregory Engines workshop.